ShapeWays bridge / GH ShapeDiver 1.4.4 feedback

1. SDDisplayGeometry fails when the component is hidden (should do it gh by default but does not, in DrawViewportMeshes you have to condition if the component is visible). Also fails when disabled and re-enabled, it is displayed as if it was always selected.
  2. The description parameter of the exporter component should include a key text (like {0} or ShapeDiverLink or any) which will be remplaced by the link to the SD model in the SW model description, so clients can find it easly.
  3. I have tried to put rich text (with the SW text editor format) in the description of the exporter and it didn’t work. However, when editing the exported model in SW, it has been automatically recognized by the description editor. Then, check that the rich text is automatically recognized when exporting please. This doesn’t seem to recognize line breaks either.
  4. Where the exported models are saved in my SW profile? They are not intended to be stored?
  5. The SD parameter widget does not use the space correctly to display the name of the parameter or names in the ValueList.
  6. A tooltip in the parameter name (when mouse is over) to put a description of what happens when you change it should be included.I feel the first few seconds when I open a model in SD with more than 6 or 7 parameters of not understanding that produces a certain rejection. If it happens to me, since this is what I do, to the general public will be amplified. So any small detail to avoid this would be a big improvement.
  7. When text is displayed in the viewer, it does not recognize line breaks and “??” appears instead.
  8. It would be nice can to update a model in SD instead of having to upload a new one, to avoid reedit name/description/tags/configuration.
  9. When the model is exported and the window with the button to go to ShapeWays appears, the url is very ugly and instead of putting the exporter’s name on the button, I would prefer something like “go to ShapeWays”.
  10. Is it not possible to choose the camera position for the render in SW? In case, a component for this would be good.

The overall assessment of the bridge is quite positive, good work!
I hope these suggestions will help you.

Many thanks for your great feedback and suggestions. We will let you know about the upcoming updates.

In ShapeWays you can find the exported models in “My Workshop -> Models”.

Unfortunately there is no possibility in the ShapeWays API to specify a camera position.

I have checked our logs, please find below an example description text that got sent to the ShapeWays API. Does this correspond to the rich text string you expected?

Parametric design inspired in the phyllotaxis pattern, a very common pattern in nature.
\nAvailable in any size, leave a comment if your size is not in the list and I'll upload it for you!
\n
\nThese are the parameters you can customize:
\n- Finger size. You can tell me the size in US or EU system or the diameter or inner circunference.
\n- Width. Upper and lower ring width (top and bottom of finger). Between 3.0 and 20.0 mm. Keep in mind that the smaller the width, the less open frames (triangles) there will be.
\n- Openings​. Five frame opening sizes, from smaller to larger. It is relative to the width of the ring. You can specify the width or tell me if you want more open or closed frames.
\n- Rows. Number of frame rows.
\n- Variation of openings.​ You can choose whether you want openings from top to bottom, or in the direction of your finger. Available with sufficient width.
\n- Frame corners. The corners of the frames can be flat, rounded or slightly rounded.
\n- Vertical gradient. You can choose whether you want to reduce the thickness of the frames from top to bottom, in case you want the frames to fade towards the bottom.
\n
\nTell me in comments below what customization you want and I will upload it for you very soon!
\n
\nModeled with Grasshopper3d (Rhinoceros) and Peacock.

I have posted a bug description in ShapeWays forum.

I take the rich text from SW description editor Source mode:

[size=13px]Parametric design inspired in the phyllotaxis pattern[/size][size=13px], a very common pattern in nature. A[/size][size=13px]vailable in any size, leave a comment if your size is not in the list and I'll upload it for you![/size]

[size=13px]Check out the other versions:
[url=https://www.shapeways.com/product/BFFE6RF2J/phylloframe-ring-2]Phylloframe Ring 2[/url][/size]
[url=https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q3UH9HGWU/phylloframe-ring-3][size=13px]Phylloframe Ring 3[/size][/url]
Ask me below in comments for more.

[size=13px]These are the parameters you can customize:[/size]
[list=1]
[*][size=13px][b]Finger size.[/b] You can tell me the size in US or EU system or the diameter or inner circunference.[/size]
[*][size=13px][b]Width.[/b] Upper and lower ring width (top and bottom of finger). Between 3.0 and 20.0 mm. [/size]Keep in mind that the smaller the width, the less open frames (triangles) there will be.
[*][b]Openings​.[/b] [size=13px]Five frame opening sizes, from smaller to larger. It is relative to the width of the ring. [/size]You can specify the width or tell me if you want more open or closed frames.
[*][size=13px][b]Rows.[/b] Number of frame rows.[/size]
[*][b]Variation of openings.​[/b] You can choose whether you want openings from top to bottom, or in the direction of your finger. Available with sufficient width.
[*][size=13px][b]Frame corners[/b]. The corners of the frames can be flat[/size][size=13px], rounded or slightly rounded.[/size]
[*][size=13px][b]Vertical gradient.[/b] [/size]You can choose whether you want to reduce the thickness of the frames from top to bottom, in case you want the frames to fade towards the bottom.
[/list]

[size=13px]Tell me in comments below what customization you want and I will upload it for you very soon!

Modeled with Grasshopper3d (Rhinoceros) and Peacock.[/size]

And you know if it’s a default position? In that case you would only have to adjust the orientation in Rhino. But if they calculate the position somehow based on the model, there is nothing to do.

Other issues I didn’t comment on:

• The category did not seem to have worked properly. It doesn’t matter either, because by default the models aren’t visible to the public, which is fine with me. It can also be edited manually if you want to publish it.
  • It would be very interesting to have the possibility to export all materials from SD instead of just the selected one. I find this important.
  • This is not very relevant for you, but since you already have the code, I think you should develop a plugin for rhino to export the models to SW, without passing through SD. Uploading files to SW is very tedious, at least for jewelry, so automating it would be great.

I added a post regarding this in ShapeWays’ forum: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/camera-position.96206/

I tested this several times, please let me know in detail the problem you experienced.

This is already possible, simply feed in as many material IDs as you wish to the ShapeWays export component.

I fully agree this would be useful for lots of Grasshopper users. I have added to our list to implement a test-mode to the ShapeDiverShapeWaysExportComponent of our plug-in. The code that does the ShapeWays export is not part of our Grasshopper plug-in, as this is done in our backend, i.e. it’s not as simple as copy&pasting the code.

This is already possible, simply feed in as many material IDs as you wish to the ShapeWays export component.

Sure! I hadn’t thought about it. However, the SDShapeWaysPrice component takes too long to compute and you have a time limit, so a button on the exporter to decide this would be good. However, for this purpose, it should be possible to decide the markup as a percentage of the manufacturing cost.
This is another good point, allowing to decide the price by total price, markup, and markup as a percentage of the manufacturing cost.

I tested this several times, please let me know in detail the problem you experienced.

I have put the id 23 (jewellery) and in SW I see the category Others next to “otherapicategory” in a text box.

Other issue. You could study if it is worthwhile to store next to the model a table with the parameters of the models exported to SW together with their url, to avoid having to export the same model twice again, you only have to open the url directly. This would improve the user experience (no waiting to upload model in SW) and avoid having duplicate models in SW. In addition, it would be interesting to allow designers to know the status of the parameters that most interest to customers and you would be able to analyse what interests customers the most in order to be able to suggest advice to designers in the future.

Ok I have updated the bug description accordingly, hopefully we get some feedback.

Essentially you are suggesting to move the material selection from the Grasshopper model to the parameter widget?

Yeah the SDShapeWaysPrice component should rather not be used in models running live on ShapeDiver, due to the sometimes long roundtrip times of the ShapeWays API.

A first simple step would be to just allow the percentage markup, but don’t show any price information on ShapeDiver, i.e. this could be fully handled by our backend.

Strange, I tested this again just now and it worked. Can you double check your model please?

Absolutely, this is an improvement possibility.

Such statistics are being collected already, but not yet exposed to the designers.